Wayne Felix (814-733-2919/814-977-1577);
Rick Foor, Asst.Committee:
Bryan Imler, Rusty Styer, Troy Mickle and Chris BushRULES:
1. Members must be enrolled in a Bedford County 4-H club or FFA chapter
2. Projects must be on feed as a 4-H or FFA project by May 1.
3. All hogs must have a tag in their ear, including a 840 RFID tag, to be eligible for the 2022 show at the Fair. Hogs must be tagged at the fairgrounds with an official Bedford Co Fair tag on the first Saturday of May on the fairground Midway between 8:00 am and 12:00 noon. There will be a $5 charge per tag. A maximum of 4 pigs per exhibitor can be tagged. An additional $5 will be charged per tag for re-tagging of animals.
4. All pigs will be weighed in on Saturday, July 23, from 7-10 a.m. and 6-9 p.m. NO EXCEPTIONS! Pigs must weigh between 230-280 Ibs. Health papers (CVI) must be checked before unloading at designated areas. Health Papers must be issued within 14 days of weigh-ins.
4a. All light or heavy pigs will be temporarily placed in a swine barn and then taken to the butcher shop by the Swine Committee at the conclusion of weigh ins. It will then become the exhibitor's responsibility to contact the butcher shop to make further arrangements.
5. All health papers and completed (up to date) 4-H and FFA record books must be presented at weigh-ins in order for these animals to be weighed.
6. NO CARCASS HOGS are allowed to be on the Fairgrounds prior to Wednesday morning's weigh-in. (This rule will be strictly enforced).
7. Swine Showmanship will take place Wednesday@6:00 pm. All showmen must sign up on entry form to be eligible to show. Classes will be divided into 4 age divisions and split into "heats" divided as evenly as possible, not exceeding more than 15 showmen. Top 5 showmen in each division will receive a banner. Pee-Wee followed by (Age as of Jan1.) Div. 1 - (18-21) Div.2 - (15-17) Div. 3 - (12-14) Div. 4 - (8-11).
8. Jr. Market Swine Judging will take place Thursday@ 6:00 pm. There will be 15 classes (3 divisions) divided by weight, regardless of breed, to as nearly as possible having equal numbers of individual pigs shown in each class. Pigs weighing less than 230 lbs. or more than 280 lbs. are not eligible to compete. Top 5 pigs in each division along with top 5 pigs overall will receive banners.
9. An exhibitor may enter and show not more than 2 market hogs.
10. There shall be "NO SWITCHING OF PENS" once pen assignments are done unless permission is given by the Swine committee superintendent first!
11. "NO DIVIDERS" shall be removed from the pens in the hog barn. Failure to comply will result in disciplinary action.
12. Any person or persons caught purposely damaging or harming any part of the barn, exhibitor's animals or tack, will result in disciplinary action.
13. Exhibitors are required to consult one of the swine committee members and a vet before any action is taken concerning a hog with any health problems.
14. Any and all animals entered and shown at the Bedford Co Fair are the sole responsibility of the exhibitor. If an animal tests positive for a non-approved substance; i.e. performance enhancing or non-approved for food producing animals, the exhibitor will be held accountable no matter the circumstances, date of purchase, or date of taking possession of the animal. The top 5 market animals will immediately be taken to the designated drug testing area for a sample once the grand drive has ended. The official veterinarian will release the exhibitor and animal once testing is deemed complete. The Swine Committee also reserves the right to randomly drug test any livestock exhibited at the Bedford CO Fair. Non-approved pharmaceuticals are 100% prohibited! This includes substances not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and/or the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for slaughter animals that may be destined for human consumption. This includes the use of all products that are not FDA approved including but not limited to any unapproved growth stimulant, beta-agonists, diuretics, or other unapproved medication meant for human usage that are intended for performance enhancing purposes. All utilized pharmaceuticals should be in compliance with Pennsylvania standards, USDA, and/or USDA/Food Safety/safety standards.
If any substance found in the obtained sample is non-approved, then the individual exhibitor will be subject to the following penalties:
(A) Disqualified from exhibiting at the Bedford Co Fair for one year.
(B) Any & all money will be forfeited.
(C) All awards (banners, buckles, etc.) must be returned to the Swine Committee immediately regardless of situation or will be billed at the Swine Committees discretion.
(D) Will be responsible to pay any and all fees for the blood test results.